I was a passionate old-fashioned makeup girl along with a cabinet packed with the newest glittery, scented, colorful lip glosses offered. And my lips were chronically dry (wonder if it was from the chemical cocktail I was slathering on multiple times per day). One winter, fed up with Carmex also restorative lip remedies, we grabbed at a checkout countertop on a whim.
I loved the light peppermint scent and exactly how well it nourished my lips. I became an exclusive Burt’s Bees individual consistently…
Then, as most stories usually enter the land of corporations, Burt’s Bees had been purchased out-by Clorox and their formula now contains canola oil and soybean oil (which I don’t consume as well as don’t wish to my mouth).
So as most tales go, within the land of Katie’s limitless DIY jobs, I made a decision to create a do-it-yourself copycat variation sans manufacturing seed oils.
It was the effect. I suggest this as a straightforward lip balm meal plus it makes a fantastic gateway product to the world of do-it-yourself deodorant and toothpaste. Fair warning, once you start making some organic products, you might be simply a hop, skip and leap away from detoxing your armpits and mud shampoo (not that either of those is a negative thing…)
Do-it-yourself Lip Balm
I’ve shared my shimmer lip gloss and home made lip balm meals before but this meal is specifically designed to appear, feel and smell like Burt’s Bees.
Another bonus, besides steering clear of the franken-oils, is the fact that this variation is significantly less costly than buying pre-made choices like Burt’s Bees (and you can also re-use the tubes to save even more). In addition omitted the lanolin within meal, as it irritates my epidermis and I haven’t found that it is important, but go ahead and include a small amount for those who have it available.
Children love assisting with do-it-yourself jobs such as this (and they are actually enjoyable for adults too!).
Before starting, always possess ingredients and equipment on hand.
If you’re switching from mainstream lipstick and need some color and shimmer obviously i would recommend incorporating a tiny amount (1 tsp) of . It has all-natural color and shimmer and blends completely. You can see a good example on this page.
Imitation Burt’s Bees Lip Balm Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons beeswax pastilles
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 30+ drops peppermint gas
Lip Balm Guidelines
- Melt beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil in a two fold boiler or tiny glass dish over a small pot of boiling water, stirring continuously until melted.
- Remove pan from heat but keep on the still-hot liquid to keep the blend melted.
- Add essential oils towards choice. I just included peppermint within meal. I suggest incorporating various drops at a time and testing a tiny amount on your own arm to be sure the aroma will be your taste.
- Once you’ve added the fundamental oils, use the pipette or a dropper to fill the lip balm tubes. This needs to be done rapidly since the blend will start to solidify as soon as it is taken out of the warmth.
- Let tubes sit at room-temperature for a number of hours until cooled and entirely hardened before capping them.
Utilize an extra tsp or two of beeswax if you want a thicker and longer-lasting lip balm or somewhat less if you prefer a smoother and softer lip balm. Since there aren't any water based ingredients, you can re-melt and include a lot more of each ingredient throughout the melting process unless you have the precise texture you want. Whenever experimenting, I’ve place various drops of this melted blend onto an item of parchment paper and let harden when you look at the fridge so I could test drive it before putting the blend into tubes. Have fun with it! This makes 12-14 tubes.